Wednesday, May 31, 2006

45 Unique Spots by End of May

My big dream for 2006 is to have The Yellow Paperclip with Bright Purple Spots travel to 100 unique spots by December 31, 2006. As of today, the book has traveled to at least 45 spots, documented and guaranteed by friends and relatives. Wow! Click here for an updated list.

This is happy news because if I were to do the math, I'm right on target! Speaking about math...
100 spots / 12 months = 8.33333
8.33333 = 8 or 9 spots
(we can't have 0.33333 of a book, can we?)
9 spots x 5 months = 45 spots

I know this all sounds a little too nerdy. But math has taken on a new and interesting light since I started reading The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Magnus Enzensberger. My boss has been raving about this book for quite some time and he let me borrow it after he finished reading it. The back blurb reads: Twelve-year-old Robert hates maths. Then in a dream, Robert meets the Number Devil, who brings the subject magically to life, illustrating with wit and charm a world in which numbers fascinate and amaze.

I never thought of myself as a numbers sort of person. My sixth grade friends and I once had an anti-math slogan: I'd rather eat math. But at least it helped me to see that I'm right on track with my big dream. The Number Devil would be proud.

No comments: