Saturday, May 27, 2006

Powerbooks Book Camp

If I were a kid, I would have loved to take part in the Powerbooks Book Camp. It's the first summer Powerbooks had such an event, and it looks like it won't be the last. There were initially 15 kids who started the Book Camp, but only 6 graduated today. The kids spent five Saturday mornings working on their storybook and Powerbooks scanned their stories and illustrations, worked on the layout, and printed two copies of their book. Today we launched six new titles: The Zoo, Strawberry and the New Baby, My Trip to Boracay, Me and Zak Playing Baseball, The Ball, The Turtle and The Rainbow. Wow!

You can just imagine how ecstatic the kids were. I met the six new authors; most were six years old, one was only three. Powerbooks invited me as their guest speaker at the kids' graduation-cum-book launch and I gave them this short message: Dreams mean work. Today is a happy day because the work we did for the last five Saturdays mean six new stories, and six dreams come true.

I hope to take part in the next summer's Book Camp again!

No comments: