Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Blue and Waiting to be Let In

In the shadows of the hallway, I saw a lonely blue paperclip by the front door of the office. It seemed sad, like it had been waiting to be let in. Like it was knocking and no one heard it. I wonder how long it has been there? Did it knock or was it just quietly waiting to be noticed and to be let in?

When we want something, should we knock loudly and announce to the world "I'm here!"? Or just quietly and patiently wait for the door to open when people notice we're there? We can knock but risk rejection if we're not wanted or welcome. We can also wait but risk lost opportunities. Choices, choices. The best thing to do is to trust one's gut and just go for it.

Ask and you shall receive. Knock and the door shall be opened to you. I think I'll knock. Or better yet, maybe I ought to ring the doorbell. Or make a phone call first. Or send an email. At least I'll know if I'm wanted or welcome. I don't want to be blue with all that waiting and wondering. I want to go through a wide-open door.

No comments: