Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Yellow Paperclip Meets Enzo - In Utero... and In my Arms

Last March, Elijah named The Yellow Paperclip with Bright Purple Spots "Lorenzo" (you can read that post here). I was thrilled because back then, my colleague Rhea was expecting a little boy named Lorenzo or "Enzo" for short.

She was seven months' pregnant when I caught her reading my storybook out loud to Enzo. Today, I got to hold Enzo in my arms. What a miracle. Life is a miracle. Life is sweet.

Incidentally, I gave Rhea a book designed to be read in utero: Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go by Tish Rabe from the works of Dr. Seuss himself. Here's a short book description from Amazon: Artfully extracted and adapted almost entirely from Ted Geisel's work, this is a must for all expectant parents - and introduction to the wonderful world of Dr. Seuss for their adorable baby-to-be. Exciting new discoveries are being made all the time about how much learning takes place while a baby is still in its mother's womb, and Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! makes the perfect welcome! It's never too early to start them on a rich and healthy regimen of good ol' Dr. Seuss.

I came across a site on the Top 10 Books to Be Read to Babies: Recently we've heard a lot about the importance of reading to our children. This begins during pregnancy and continues on into their lives. Reading to babies can be a lot of fun. Your baby may even remember the rhyme and rhythm of the books you read while they were in utero! So pick up a book and have some fun while boosting their brain development. Tish Rabe's book was on the Number One spot.

Will my book be included in such a list in the future? Who knows. Why not? But even if it doesn't make it to that list, I hope Enzo remembers the rhyme and rhythm of The Yellow Paperclip with Bright Purple Spots. To the question, But where was I before I was here? Enzo can reply: "In my Mommy's tummy."

Welcome to the world, Enzo! You're definitely a bright purple spot in the lives of Rhea and Jojo... and for all of us who can't wait to see the rest of your life unfold!

No comments: