Sunday, April 16, 2006

Prayers (and Paperclips) this Easter Weekend

I spent the long weekend in glorious silence at the Sacred Heart Novitiate in Novaliches for an individually guided Holy Week retreat organized by the Center for Ignatian Spirituality. Prayers, yes, of course you can expect that... but paperclips?

On the first day, mid-morning of Maundy Thursday, I saw a yellow paperclip on the side of the road. Later that day, as I walked in silence around the beautiful grounds, I saw a blue one, then a red paperclip. Three paperclips. One for each full day I'm in this sacred place. (I think it might be too much to link three paperclips with the Trinity. Hee-hee.) The three paperclips stayed with me, happily clipped onto my cool prayer journal from Yelle. I couldn't help but smile though; thank you, God! Imagine: three paperclips in one day! Wow! In the deep silence of my heart, You make me truly happy... with or without paperclips.

On Good Friday, I gave my spiritual director a copy of my book. Bro. Charles is an angel: in his earnest, most authentic self, armed with a ready smile and a generous heart, he helped me articulate my feelings and identify God's footprints in my life. My storybook was a symbol of God's love and desire to realize my own deepest desire. My big dream came true, and for that I am completely grateful. On Black Saturday, I saw another blue paperclip near the Main Hall's garden. But I used it on a note for Bro. Charles that afternoon. (So it's now a Pilgrim Paperclip. Hee-hee.) On Easter Sunday afternoon, I visited my old Jesuit friend Fr. Stein at the Sonolux in Ateneo and gave him a copy of my book as I promised during my last visit in late 2005. (This story is for another blogpost!)

Lines from one of my favorite e.e. cummings' poem capture my Easter weekend: i thank You God for most this amazing day... this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth day of life and of love and wings... (now the ears of my ears awake and now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

No comments: