Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Blast from the Past: A Coincidence... or a Conspiracy?

Wow. I got that incredible feeling of happy disbelief (again!) when I opened my inbox today. I got an email from Grace, the older sister of a good friend from fifth grade. Grace, a.k.a. Mommy Grace, was like our coach in the basketball varsity team (yes, even at 4'10", I used to play basketball!). Her short email read:

Don't know if you still remember me. I'm Grace, the sister of Christine, your batchmate in Zobel. Firstly, I just want to say hi and say "well done!" on your book. Actually, that's not it. I'm currently working at the prep library of Zobel when I came across your name on one of the books I was given to process. I just found it so weird and ironic that, like your yellow paperclip, your book has come full circle back to where you started to read and write...

Although I didn't start to read and write in Zobel (I was reading Nancy Drew and writing stories a la Sweet Valley High by the fifth grade), it is amazing how I've sort of come full circle with the good ole Yellow Paperclip. Could it be a mere coincidence that Christine is on my list of People to Reconnect With in 2006? I doubt it. There are no coincidences. Just a conspiracy (a.k.a. The Master Plan) and lots of surprising connections and reconnections. I love it how a paperclip has helped me create ties and rediscover links to different people and places.

I can't wait to see them both and a The Yellow Paperclip Goes to Zobel post soon...

No comments: