Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Wondrous World Indeed

Click here to browse through the wondrous world of Errol le Cain. (Yes, at least 60,000 gorgeous images on Google!) It's a dreamy world I would happily get lost in.

I received an invitation from the Singapore Book Council for an afternoon talk at the National Library on The Wondrous Art World of Errol le Cain. Since I've been meaning to visit the library for many months (er, years!) and had nothing scheduled on a Saturday afternoon, I figured: I know nothing about Errol le Cain, but why not?

My friend Cam and I were amazed with his artwork. A wondrous world of color, swirls, and patterns. All that detail. An amazing take on classic fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty, King Arthur's Sword, and our all-time favorite, The Twelve Dancing Princesses. What a wondrous world indeed created by this prolific illustrator, but unfortunately, many people don't know him and his artwork, or that he was born in Singapore and established himself as an artist in the United Kingdom. Even more unfortunate for most of us is the fact that all of his books are out of print... though some are available online for a few thousand dollars! Visit www.errollecain.com for more about his life and works.

On another note, I think I got another major nudge from the Universe. I met the Festival Manager for the upcoming Asian Festival of Children's Content that will be hosted here in Singapore this May (which I am hoping to be able to attend!) and he also heads up the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. He invited me to their upcoming meet-up. Yaaay! Eeeeeep! (Yes, thrilled and anxious and everything in between.)

No comments: