Friday, February 17, 2012

Connecting the Dots



I have not written much in the last year, and I think it made a huge difference. I tried to start a 365-word-a-day blog project. I said I'd find a publisher for a new piece of work. I said I would write in my journal more. But I procrastinated. I stalled. I thought I could catch up. I shelved it. I spent too much time at work. I ran away from it. I failed. Boo. Blah. Writers write, I told myself; and since I stopped, I really let myself down. 

And the days of blah-ness stretched to weeks... and months... and... no, I don't want to feel like this anymore. So I will start writing again. Even if it's just a few words here, and a few more words in my journal. A few lines today, an article tomorrow; who knows, maybe another picture book by the end of the year.


When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it. - Paulo Coelho

I believe that God allows the Universe to conspire with the dreamer. He provides signs that lead us (back) to our deepest desires, especially when we're teetering over the edge or veering away from where we need to go. He sends little nudges that remind us to dream again and to trust with a childlike heart, even if we can't quite make out the road in front of us. 

In the last two weeks...
  • I got an email asking if I would be agreeable to convert one of my books into an e-book
  • I found out that one of my books sold more than 2,000 copies in the last four years
  • I met a fellow TCK who chanced upon this blog some time ago and remarked, "But you stopped writing!"
  • I went to a dear friend's photo exhibit where I ran into a nice lady who used to host these writing sessions; she scheduled a meet-up on Monday so we could all start writing again
  • I was invited to be featured in a magazine for tweens as part of International Book Day in April
Wow. You think Someone is telling me something?



You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life. - Steve Jobs


My life has been one big happy conspiracy so far and I don't think the Universe will let up just yet. I just have to once again trust in the goodness of signs and have faith that my God always knows what's best for me even if, or especially when, I can't seem to connect the dots.

No comments: