Wednesday, August 01, 2012

A Bright Blue Spot in Hong Kong

It was my first time in Hong Kong last week for a business trip and I extended my stay over the weekend so I could explore Asia's World City. Often compared to Singapore, my colleague shared that Hong Kong is much more "authentic". What did she mean?

A map helped me navigate through the streets around the Sheung Wan and Central area (well, most of the time! I still enjoyed getting lost...) and after a few hours, I think I sort of understand what she meant. The busy and uneven sidewalks; the narrow alleys packed with stalls of trinkets; the rundown buildings next to contemporary galleries, artsy cafés, and antique shops; the hole-in-the-wall noodle shops with long queues. It was gritty and rushed and bustling with crowds. The city had a unique pulse worth experiencing - but I didn't stay long enough to embrace it or to call it a home-away-from-home.

I definitely played tourist for the weekend yet took comfort in seeing a paperclip in a strange place. Unlike Singapore where I've seen mostly silver ones, my paperclip in Hong Kong was bright blue. That sure adds another point for Authenticity!

No comments: